Thursday, January 28, 2010

So, about sources and citing


Even though all my work and time on Mokena's history is just for fun, I still think it's my responsibility to tell you where my info is coming from. (I don't want you to think I'm just copy-and-pasting or making this stuff up) With that in mind, I've been thinking of a way to do citations in these posts, but haven't been able to come up with anything that doesn't ruin the flow.

So let's keep it simple: If you're doing your own research, whether for genealogy, a project, or even just because it's fun stuff, let me know if you want to know where I got something. I'd be more than happy to tell you my sources. I'm 100% confident in everything I post here, that meaning that there's no information I've pieced together with no basis in fact.

Believe it or not, there has been a decent amount written on Mokena's history. A few huge, authoritative county histories have been written over the years that have had some really cool stuff in them. A Mokena historian wrote the last really major one in the 1920s, and needless to say, he completely ripped off George Woodruff, who was the Will County historian back in the 19th century. I'm talking near word-for-word lifting here.

I won't mention the Mokena guy's name here, simply because I'm pretty sure he still has relatives around. Although angry e-mails could make interesting posts.... ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment